Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Peanut History in my family 6 years 9 months ago #2575

• bonnie.mcintosh@gmail.com's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
My great uncle, Ellery Esau Cuff, grew up at the Post Office run by his father, Richard William CUFFE, in Peanut, California. (The father changed the family name from Cuffe to Cuff because people kept mispronouncing this Irish name.) His father was the postmaster. It was an interesting place in almost nowhere. Because of this, all sorts of people would drop by. One of those was Jack London.

Ellery was mostly self educated. He was called up for service for WWI for his knowledge of something (I forget what) that he had learned in Peanut. The war ended before he got there.
He became a California State Park Ranger. While a ranger, he named 3 lakes: Lake Edith (after his soon to be wife), Lake Genevieve and Lake May (her sisters).

Later, he became the Public Defender of the County of Los Angeles. This was around the time of Barbara Graham, the murderer. I asked him once about her and the movie about her, "I Want to Live." He said she wasn't innocent. She was just a women who hung around with the wrong people and got caught. I'm not sure how he knew about this as I don't believe Ms. Graham had a public defender, but I believe at least one of her cohorts did.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: lisamoderator
Time to create page: 0.054 seconds

Like Us / Share Us

Click here for BBB Business Review